I was content to have one last dose of JJ/Emily in this episode. I mean, beyond content, really, as I didn't even know JJ was coming back, so that was a ridiculously pleasant surprise.
I could never have expected it to be this brillllllllliant. Despite all the Emily het (I've been strongly in the Prentiss-is-at-least-bi camp for years), there was so much more than I expected (even without considering that I expected zero) and it was fabulous:
JJ bring brought in as someone who can "shed some light on Emily's past" and all the <3 <3 and then JJ being the point person at the hospital (like a family member would be) and then JJ'S FACE when she was hugging Reid and then being the first person (and longest shot) laying down the rose and my heart was so happy.
AND THEN THE VERY ENDING. I'd called that that was how they were going to play her departure a few episodes back, BUT JJ'S ROLE OH MY GOD. I literally threw both arms up in the air and just said "IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING" over and over again.
PLEASE FEMSLASH GODS by which I obviously mean authors MAKE THE MOST OF THIS AWESOME OPPORTUNITY THAT HAS BEEN AFFORDED YOU. I MEAN JESUS, JJ IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS EMILY IS ALIVE.
- Drama and romance and concern and Emily sneakily sending JJ's kid presents even when she can't talk to JJ, just to let her know that she's still alive.
- Sekrit rendezvous in romantic places (with disguises!) where they plot to finally take down all the bad guys so Emily can stop running all the time,
- but also talk (news about the team, about ~feelings, etc.) because JJ is the one person who knows pretty much everything
- except for that Emily was in love with her and pulled away when JJ got pregnant because of le jealousy, which Emily finally reveals because she feels safe seeing as how she's going to run away to another country the next day.
- Emily not showing up to the next scheduled meeting after that because she's a wimp, and JJ flipping out but not wanting to actively look for her lest it tip people off, so just freaking out in silence
- Awkwardness when they finally meet up the next time and only business talk until JJ puts her hand over Emily's and the Magic Power of Affection fixes things so we return to our Regularly Scheduled Development of Sexual Tension: Now With Confirmed Reciprocation!
- A final meeting where there's no time to even acknowledge the sexual tension that's been building up over the past year before turning around and being BAMFs and shooting folk.
- Them winning and dramatic, post-violence, shaky "it's over" relief kisses.
AND THEN AN AWESOME SEQUEL because this is always what I really want in fics: How do they deal with what comes next, when they go back to "real life"?
- Emily is pretty much a cat lady; does she remember how to have a relationship that's not for spyage purposes?
- Contrast between her loving the Doyle kid but not wanting to help raise him (as that would cement her fake relationship with Ian) and her behavior with JJ's kid.
- Does Em go back to work somewhere?
- How cool is JJ's job with the fact that she just went AWOL to help Emily shoot bitches?
- How does Emily deal with the fact that despite all her obvious enemies being gone, she could be exposing JJ and the kid to all kinds of danger because of her past?
- JJ isn't really a fighter type (IIRC, she wasn't even a field agent for ages); is there fallout from having to help Emily kill bitches? Or does she not really react to it, and is disconcerted because of that?
Basically, part one is mandatory, the sequel is more an excuse to work in the sexing, since part one is plotting itself out pretty PG-13 in my head.
I SO WISH I COULD WRITE THIS but I know I'll get about two pages in and school will pick up and I'll never be able to get back into the swing of it, so I really hope the femslash fandom gestalt sort of picks up on how cool it could be to tack a spy thriller on to the end of this episode and makes it happen.